#19: Let's Talk Woodworking Workbenches
In this episode, we talk woodworking workbenches! From Roubo to Nicholson and everywhere in between, we get into the nitty gritty of what we want and don't want in a workbench.
What are we working on?
- Lots! Finishing doors(Handles)
- Blacksmithing first twist, punches & drifts, bottle opener
- Anvil stand
- St. Patrick’s day thing..
- Ordered hammer from Brent Bailey
Johnny: Dust collection! John C. Campbell. Vinyl record door.
James: Dresser, and carving everything in sight!
Show Topic: Workbenches!
- Johnny: Roubo, Scandinavian, Nicholson, Benchcrafted, Lake Erie, Lee Valley Inset Vise, Chris Schwarz books.
- Zack: Moravian, Roubo, Nicholson, Shaker, 21st century, moxon, leg vise, splayed legs, angles vise, wagon vise, shoulder vise
- James: Body, Tool holding, Work holding
Q & A:
So I just saw a video on Zach's channel when he built his workbench. It's a design that looks cool and seem rather doable, also for a beginner like me. (Can't remember the design name though). I am considering building that one or a roubo style and I would like to hear Zach's own opinions/experiences with the bench, things he'd change/add etc., now that it's been in use.
My workflow consist entirely of hand tools since I can't afford machines so that's something to keep in mind.
Thanks for being kickass!
Joke of the Week:
Jacob Hladik: Why do woodworkers dislike drilling holes? Because it's the boring part!
What’s new/what are we watching/reading?
- Johnny: How I Built This podcast. #trypod
- James: Von Thompson Tinker, Shipping container conversion and tini house: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9WKX3qBnZ7aDgxl6lDKl6w
- Zack: Alec Steele (love his Accent)
Favorite tool this week?
- Zack: Center punch
- Johnny: iVac automated blast gates
- James: Carving tool roll
moana maui magical hook diy wood